Because the job market is so competitive these days, employers are constantly on the look out for innovative ways to learn about their applicants.
One way that a potential employer can gain some insight about a job applicant is to pop quiz them with weird or interesting job interview questions. Here are ten of the weirdest that you may ever hear.
- What sign are you? Although astrology may not seem important in a job search, your star sign may give a potential employer some insight about who you are. From school astrology to work astrology, astrological signs are becoming increasingly prevalent in giving insight into a person’s basic traits.
- What kind of tree would you be, if you were a tree? It would be good to have an answer to this prior to your interview, especially if the interviewer should happen to ask you why.
- What kind of animal are you? Here is another creativity question. Be prepared to answer this to show that you can think on your feet. Have a solid answer that you can reasonably explain if the interviewer asks why you chose your answer.
- Who was the worst boss you ever had? It would be safer to say that you have never had a bad boss, but that every boss provided a unique challenge, learning experiences and the like. Be positive about past jobs and supervisors.
- If you were a super hero, what would your superpowers be? This is another creativity question, giving insight into who you are as a person and showing the interviewer that you can think on your feet.
- Describe yourself in three words. Be humble but be positive about yourself, using truth to describe yourself with words like “hardworking,” “organized” and “detail-oriented.”
- What would your last three supervisors say about you? Be honest, but do not say anything bad about yourself. Turn any potentially bad things into opportunities for growth or improvement.
- If you won money in the lottery, how would you spend it? This question gives insight into what your life plans are, and tells the interviewer a little more about who you are as a person.
- If there was a news story for your life, how would your headline read? Give an answer that gives insight into your personality and creativity, as well as that you can think on your feet.
- Do you have any questions for me? This question always seems bizarre when asked, but it is a very telling question and you must answer it correctly. Come prepared to hear this interview question by researching basic information on the company beforehand and preparing a list of questions about the interviewer or the company.
You should definitely be prepared for curve-ball questions like these during your job interviews. Interviewers are looking for quick-thinking employees who can problem solve, recall information and come up with answers quickly and effectively.
What’s the strangest question you’ve ever been asked dring an interview? What was your answer?